Witness a modern interpretation of Kenya’s traditional dish, mukimo, in the form of Mukimo Salad. This innovative dish pays homage to the roots of Kenyan cuisine while embracing a contemporary twist. Mashed potatoes, maize, and nutritious pumpkin leaves come together in a harmonious blend, intermingling with peas to create a symphony of colors and textures. The salad is dressed with a zesty concoction that infuses the flavors with a vibrant kick.
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup cooked maize kernels
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 cup cooked and chopped pumpkin leaves (sukuma wiki)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, cooked maize kernels, peas, and chopped pumpkin leaves.
- Gently mix the ingredients to ensure an even distribution.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper to create the dressing.
- Drizzle the dressing over the potato mixture, tossing gently to coat all the ingredients with the flavors.
- Adjust the seasoning to your taste preferences, adding more lemon juice, salt, or pepper as needed.
- Allow the Mukimo Salad to rest for a short while before serving, allowing the flavors to meld.
- Serve this innovative take on mukimo as a refreshing and nutritious salad that pays homage to Kenyan culinary traditions while embracing modern creativity.